Sunday, December 2, 2007

A Rocha



Here we are working planting garlic in A Rocha's 1 acre garden. The garden is cultivated to provide 25 shares for our Community Shared Agriculture (CSA) Project, 5 of which go to local shelters and community kitchens.



I work for A Rocha Canada. www.arocha.org/canada/ It is so great. A Rocha is an international Christian conservation organization who works to share God's love for all of creation.

A Rocha ("The Rock" in Portuguese), began in Portugal in the 1980s and is now working in 18 different countries around the world. We believe that God made the world, that He loves it and that He placed humanity as the stewards of it. Considering my loves, my passions, my convictions, I have found myself deeply committed to this work.

At the Field Study Centre in Surrey, we are working on salmon habitat restoration, migratory bird surveying, environmental education, Biblical theology of Earth-care education and funding it all. I have so much more to say about why I believe each of these categories are so desperately important, but I will let our extensive blog readership inquire for I could go on and on and on...

I am fund-raising right now and hope to take on my role as Community Organizer in a few months. My role is to connect the people in the community to the work of A Rocha Canada and make it accessible to people from all backgrounds. I will update you all more in the Spring as my role and work develop. Until then, I invite you all to the Field Study Centre to see our community and how we are working out our call to walk with care on the Earth.

To see a short film about A Rocha go to:

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-500919105068866289





Here I am with 2 of my biggest supporters, Caleb and Alissa McSharry. I love them.

5 comments:

dawn klinge said...

Hi Katie and Andy-
I'm glad you posted this. The video was interesting. I'm so thankful for people like you who are doing such important work. I'll put a link to this post on my blog also.

Mattithyahu said...

Yay for A Rocha! I hope things are going well Katie. Keep up the (hard) work. :)

Nancy said...

Andy and Katie, this is Matt's aunt, Nancy - I would love to support A Rocha, it sounds like a wonderful idea and right up our alley. Please let me know how I can help out. I know Tom would be interested too. We already volunteer at the Nisqually Wildlife Refuge and believe strongly in conservation. You can get my address from Matt :o)
Nice to have you both back on the LEFT side of the country!!

Jenna said...

so i've seen this post 2.3 million times. looks like even a glimpse of the last 4 months of your life is missing. update us, por favor! i miss you guys. i hope we can come up and visit and hike this summer. what's new?

Rich Dixon said...

Katie - great to meet you last week and look forward to a chance to meet Andy somewhere down the line. Thanks for sharing your wisdom and care for A Rocha. We are thankful to start the journey in this family.
Make sure to connect if you are in the So Cal area,